Why Are My Teeth Gapped?
Teeth become gapped for a variety of reasons, but some of the common include:
- Tongue thrust
- Gum disease
- Thumb sucking
- Overuse of pacifier as a child
- Missing teeth
- Small teeth
- Large frenulum
No two patients are alike, so if you are wondering what might be causing the gaps in your smile, make sure to call our office to schedule an appointment with your cosmetic dentist in Allen. We can examine your smile and offer the right solution to fix it.
Am I a Candidate for Invisalign?
In order to determine if you are a qualified candidate for Invisalign, you should:
- Have good oral and overall health
- Be willing to follow the provided treatment plan and agree to wear your aligners for 20-22 hours each day
- Want faster results
- Be committed to maintaining your scheduled appointments throughout treatment
How Does Invisalign Work?
Invisalign consists of clear, plastic aligners that are custom-made to fit comfortably in your mouth. These trays will gently move your teeth and eliminate the gaps in your smile over time until you’ve reached your desired results. It will be expected for you to wear the trays 20-22 hours a day for two weeks. At that time, you will switch out your trays for the next set in the series.
Within 6 to 18 months, you’ll notice a dramatic difference in your smile and be ready to transition out of Invisalign and into a retainer, which will keep your teeth from moving back into their original position.
Benefits of Invisalign
- Faster results: You can expect to see a new smile in just 6-18 months, as compared to 2-3 years with traditional braces.
- Clear aligners: The clear plastic that makes up your aligners is hardly detectable by others.
- No diet changes: You can eat whatever you like because Invisalign aligners must be removed prior to eating or drinking.
- Easy to clean: All you need is a toothbrush, clear soap, and lukewarm water to keep your aligners clean.
- No irritation: Unlike traditional braces that rub against your lips and cheeks, Invisalign is smooth, so there is no irritation to your soft tissues.
- Minimal discomfort: Since there are no wires to adjust, Invisalign gently moves your teeth. This creates minimal discomfort that can be managed with an over-the-counter pain reliever.
- Fewer dental visits: With Invisalign, your scheduled appointments will not only be few but quick, too!